- Posted by Adam
- On December 12, 2016
- 0 Comments
- behavioral health billing, behavioral health billing services, behavioral health business services, behavioral health coding, behavioral health study, medical billing advice, substance abuse billing, substance abuse treatment
What is happening with Toxicology in the Behavioral Health Industry?
Toxicology in the behavioral health industry is under harsh scrutiny largely influenced by many unethical testing practices, some laboratory companies exploiting the industry for financial gains, fraudulent testing practices, testing without clinical or medicinal rationale, insufficient documentation regarding drug testing to name a few. Industry insiders say establishing clinical guidelines for urine testing likely would reduce over-billing and drive out bad operators who made millions on unnecessary drug tests.
These issues have made it more difficult for quality treatment providers to legitimately test their patients to ensure quality of care is being provided. We are seeing many insurance carriers institute refund requests in regards to payments received by providers for drug testing. Many insurance carriers are requiring in depth medical records to show medical necessity is being met in order to reimburse for claims submitted for drug testing.
- Adopt ethical drug testing practices that directly correlate to each individual treatment plan.
- Create and carry out policies and procedures specific to drug testing in your treatment programs.
- Ensure that the ordering physician is documenting drug testing orders and is familiar with best practices for drug testing patients with substance use and mental health disorders. The attending physician must also be diligent in updating the recommended frequency of drug testing.
- Document in detail clinical and medical rationale for drug testing for each individual patient and ensure that the drug testing regimen is congruent with the patients current status.
- Incorporate drug testing into the treatment planning process.
- Utilize drug tests as a tool within your treatment program with the intention of providing superior care.
If you would like to learn more about drug testing and how to utilize drug testing within your treatment program please contact us! We are here to help you grow your program and create the absolute best outcomes for your patients!
Learn More: https://elevatedbilling.com/